Monday, October 03, 2005

10/3/05

Bodyweight 302#

I should be able to get under 295# this week if I stay on 1,500 Cal/day for the rest of the week. Goal for the month is to get under 285#. I think I had about 6,000 Cal on Saturday so I won't see a new low in bodyweight until at least Wednesday, after I am thoroughly carb depleted.
I wish I could have a "do over" regarding Saturday's lunch; Lillian and I finally tried Union Square Cafe, which is Danny Meyer's first restaurant and still dominates the Zagat rankings. For some reason we had never eaten their in spite of the fact that we really enjoy all of Danny's other properties (Gramercy Tavern, Modern, Eleven Madison, Tabla, Blue Smoke and Shake Shack). I guess the fact that the place is so popular, yet pretty much "off the radar" on eGullet should have had me concerned. The restaurant looks nice and definitely has the super friendly, extremely attentive service that is a hallmark of Danny Meyer's establishments. In fact, I am a little uncomfortable with the way the staff are trained to convulse into a big fake smile if you make eye contact with them from across the room. I guess most people really like that forced friendliness, but I get a rather disturbing vibe from it.

Lillian and I split a green salad, then she had the a Tuna tartare appetizer as an entree and I had the fettucine with pancetta, corn and oven dried tomatoes in a gorgonzola sauce. We split the hazelnut cake with maple ice cream for dessert. The food, while the ingredients were fresh and of good quality, was poorly seasoned. You have to wonder if anyone in that kitchen is actually tasting what is being plated up. One bite and I was reaching for the salt shaker and the pepper mill. Lillian ended up dousing her Tuna with lemon, but she still found parts of the dish inedible. To the restaurants credit they immediately took her Tuna off of the bill. Dessert was a simple hazelnut cake served with a scoop of maple ice cream.

I must say that I find a meal like that really frustrating when I am dieting because I feel that i have "wasted" my calories on a sub-par experience. I want my few high calorie meals to be really spectacular, to give me something to look forward too. Dinner at home was much better. We grilled up some Prime tenderloin tips from Fresh Direct and served them with grilled asparagus. Dessert was a small chocolate hazelnut pastry from Fauchon.

Aside from eating, we visited the Medieval Festival in Fort Tryon Park, and went to gawk at the 80" Samsung plasma TV in the Time Warner Center. I happened to see my old landlord from when we lived in Philadelphia checking out the giant plasma, but he didn't seem to recognize me. I guess dropping 85# and seeing me out of context would make me a bit difficult to recognize.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bex said...

Robert I totally agree with hating wasting my calories on not-so-fabulous foods. Especially when I dine out and have to pay for it to boot!

Those tenderloin tips sound yummy, maybe one day I'll drop by for dinner :)

Thanks so much for letting me know about Jaques Torres. We'll definitely be seeing him!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Robert W said...

Hi Becky,

You and Norman are welcome anytime.

Jaques has a website for his store that has a lot of information: http://www.mrchocolate.com/

I really like the chocolate he is making himself (even roasting his own beans!) in his Manhattan store. It is a dark chocolate ("Trinitario") that is semi-sweet (65%cocoa), and it tastes amazing. The rest of his confections are made from Belgian chocolate made to his specifications.

Following the instructions from his Foodnetwork show I have successfully made his milk chocolate passionfruit hearts more than a few times (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_18327,00.html) and they were a big hit.

6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » »

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home