Tuesday, April 18, 2006

4/18/06

BWT 294#

My weight is a little up from a bit of an Easter gorge, but I am trying to get things rolling again by sticking under 2,000 cal/day. I have been bothered by that pinched nerve in my upper back the past few weeks, and I have decided to drop all bench pressing (incline and flat benching) for the forseable future. I lifted once last week but my I started to feel like I was aggravating my back so I cut my incline pressing short after 3 sets and switched to dumbell presses (65#x10x10x10).

I recall now that a fellow lifter at my gym that does a lot of heavy incline presses developed a bulging disc in his upper back that caused him to lose strength in his right arm. He never figured out what caused it, but I am starting to suspect the incline work was the culprit. So it is back to the OHP for me. I may do the Incline as an occasional Max Effort exercise, but I will not train it as my main press anymore.

DB OHP: 75#x5x5x5

These feel better than the Incline, but still irritated my back a little.

Precor cable curl (drop set) 110#/80#/50#x3x3x2

Barbell Military press:95#x5 140#x5 160#x5 180#x3 200#x1

These felt pretty good, and didn't irritate my back at all. I will start with 170# for 5x5 next time and work from there. I should be able to increase the weight pretty quickly, but I want to be careful of that pinched nerve.

Leg press: 380#x5x5x5x5x5

2 Comments:

Blogger Cuerpo Aztlan said...

Wow, way to go. Thanks for posting about the pinched nerve its good to read what people do about those types of things.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

aye, bulging disks..aggravated backs. all sounds very painful. take it easy and take care you, can never be too careful when it comes to long term health. you know your limits :) ciaos

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home